WhatsApp payments feature is rolling out to select users in India right now. First, make sure you are running the latest version of the app – as of filing this report, that’s v2.18.41 on Android and iPhone v2.18.22. Open any WhatsApp chat and see if you see the new Payments sub-head under Settings. If you do, great, you now have access to WhatsApp’s UPI-based payments feature. If not, you have no other option but to wait.
If you’ve already received the feature then follow the below steps to get started:
1) Since it is a UPI-based payment feature, your WhatsApp number should be same as your mobile number linked to your bank account with UPI option support as well.
2) To enable the payment service, you will find the Payment Option in the settings of Whatsapp. Once here, you will have to select the ‘add a bank account’ option and accept its terms and conditions. After that, you will be asked to verify your number.
3) After your number has been verified, the list of banks will appear. Choose the bank with which you have an account and ensure that your bank account is already linked to UPI.
4) After that you would have to add details of your debit card, so make sure you have your card handy.
5) Now, for the actual transaction, go to any personal or group chat and select the person to whom you want to transfer the amount. Select the ‘Attachment’ option where you would be able to see the option to send money. You will have to enter the amount after which, your UPI pin or the OTP will complete the transaction.
You can choose from the list of over 70 Indian banks including Axis Bank, HDFC Bank, ICICI Bank, State Bank of India, Yes Bank, Airtel Payments Bank, Allahabad Bank, Andhra Bank, Bank of Baroda, and more.
WhatsApp will also maintain the log of all transactions under the Payments option in Settings and you can always check the history.
Please note that since it is the beta version of the service, not all users will see the Payments option when they open WhatsApp. However, the feature gets activated after someone with the Payments feature messages the user. Once that is done, refresh the app, and you will be good to go.