National carrier Air India has lowered the age limit for availing travel concession under its scheme for senior citizens to 60.
As per the scheme, an Indian citizen who has attained the age of 60 on the date of commencement of journey is entitled to a 50% discount on the basic fare of an economy class seat, an Air India spokesperson confirmed.
Earlier, the age limit for this offer was 63 years. This offer, however, is only valid for domestic travel.
To avail of the scheme, people need to produce valid ID proof, like voter ID, passport, driving licence, or a senior citizen card issued by the national carrier.
Private airlines offer only 8% discount
Meanwhile, other competitive airlines like SpiceJet, Indigo and Jet Airways are already offering discounts to senior citizen who are aged 60 years and above. It was only Air India that had set their limit for senior citizens to 63. No other airlines came up with such heavy discounts like Air India did by providing 50% discount on Air India’s flight. The other carriers like Indigo, SpiceJet and Jet Airways provide up to 8% discount on base fare only. It thus becomes mandatory for the senior citizen to carry a valid photo ID with date of birth and display it at the time of check-in at the airport. Failure in producing proof will result in charging prevailing fares.
Here’s what the airlines are offering to senior citizens:
Air India Senior Citizen Concession:
- Eligibility: Any Senior citizen of Indian Nationality, permanently residing in India and should have attained the age of 60 years on the date of commencement of journey.
- Documents required: Any valid Photo ID with date of birth e.g., Voter’s ID card, Passport, Driving license, senior citizens ID card issued by Air India etc.
- Discount: 50% of Economy “M” RBD basic fare.
- Travel: Any sector within India.
- Ticket Validity: 1 Year from date of issue
- Advance Purchase: Not required. Ticket can be purchased anytime
- Date/Flight change, Cancellation & Refund: Permitted – Fee applies
You can check Air India’s conditions here
SpiceJet Senior Citizen concession:
- Eligibility: The Scheme is applicable only for senior citizens, above the age of 60 years.
- Discount: Up to 8% discount on Base Fare only. All other applicable charges/ fees/ taxes etc. are payable by the passenger.
- Booking time: The booking and travel period should be on or before 30th Sep’17 (blackout dates shall be applicable).
- Travel: The scheme is only valid for bookings made for travel on flights within India and is valid for both one-way and round-trip bookings.
- Web Check-in is not allowed for bookings made under this Scheme.
- This Scheme, in no manner, cannot be clubbed with any other scheme/offer/discount/ promotion etc.
- Documents required: Passengers need to carry a valid ID Card indicating their date of birth, and display it at the time of check-in at the airport.
You can check SpiceJet’s conditions here
Jet Airways’ Senior Citizen concession
- Eligibility: The offer is applicable to senior citizen who are aged 60 years and above.
- Discount: 8% discount on select booking classes in economy i.e.V and above
- Documents: A valid Identity Card with proof of age is mandatory for travel under this scheme. Boarding will be denied if this identity proof is not provided at check-in & at the boarding gate. Guest(s) should carry this proof of identification throughout the journey.
- Travel: Applicable on the online domestic India routes. Normal baggage allowances will be applicable.
- Web check-in will be applicable.
You can check Jet Airways’ conditions here:
Indigo’s Senior citizen’s concession:
- Eligibility: Scheme is applicable for senior citizen above the age of 60 years.
- Documents: It is mandatory for the senior citizen to carry a valid photo ID with date of birth and display it at the time of check-in at the airport. Failure in producing proof will result in charging prevailing fares.
- Discount: IndiGo will provide up to 8% discount on base fare only. All applicable fees/taxes payable by the passenger. The Senior citizen scheme cannot be combined with any other offers/discounts/promotions from IndiGo.
- Travel time: The booking and travel period should be until 13 April 2017. The website is probably not updated as it says the travel period is 13 April 2017.
- Senior citizen discount is applicable for all domestic flights. Senior citizen discount is valid on both, one-way and round-trip bookings.
- Cancellation: Bookings made under Senior citizen Discount Scheme are changeable and cancellable. Tickets booked under the scheme are non-transferable – No name changes permitted.
- Refund: Bookings under this offer are refundable after deducting the applicable cancellation fares.
- Web Check-in is not allowed for all the Senior citizen Discount bookings.
You can check Indigo’ conditions here
Sources: India.com, TOI
Read this for all concessions: Concessions on Domestic Air Travel In India