What is Tatkal reservation scheme?
- To meet the urgent requirement of the passengers who plan their journey at short notice, Tatkal reservation facility has been provided in all Mail/Express trains including special trains. Tatkal facility introduced in executive class of Shatabdi Express trains also from 01-10-2009, which can be booked even on Internet.
- The advance reservation period under this scheme is one day excluding the day of journey.
- Proof of identity is not required to be produced by the passenger seeking reservation under Tatkal Scheme, at the time of booking but required during the time of journey
- The new tatkal charges will be at the rate of 10 per cent of basic fare for second class and 30 per cent of basic fare for all other classes subject to minimum and maximum charges for each class.
- Tatkal tickets will be issued for actual distance of travel, instead of end-to-end, subject to the distance restriction applicable to the train. The same tatkal berth/seat may be booked in multiple legs till preparation of charts. At the time of preparation of charts, unutilized portion may be released to the General RAC/Waiting list passengers.
- Tatkal facility introduced in executive class of Shatabdi Express trains also, by earmarking 10 per cent of the accommodation available that is five seats per coach
For Further detail click this link – http://indianrail.gov.in/tatkal_Scheme.html
What do I do, if I cannot plan my journey in advance?
Though it is always advisable to plan your journey well in advance, there may be times when this is not possible. For such situations, Indian Railways have introduced the Tatkal Scheme in Sleeper Class, AC Chair Class, 3-Tier AC and 2-Tier AC classes in almost all Mail/Express trains. The reservation under this scheme commences at 8 a.m. on the previous day for which the reservation is being sought. Tatkal Bookings is available one day before excluding the date of journey i.e., for journey on 3rd, the booking would be starting at 8 a.m. on 2nd. for further detail click on this link
What are the rules for refund against cancellation of a Tatkal reservation ticket?
- Zero refund . If confirmed tatkal ticket cancelled no refund will be given However, full refund of fare and Tatkal Charges will be granted on the confirmed Tatkal tickets booked under this scheme in the following circumstances:
- If the train is delayed by more than 3 hours from the train originating station;
- In case of non-attachment of coach in which Tatkal Accommodation has been earmarked and the passenger has not been provided accommodation in the same class.
- If the party has been accommodated in lower class and does not want to travel. In case the party travels in lower class, the passenger will be given refund of difference of fare and also the difference of Tatkal charges, if any. Normal Rules applicable for grant of refund on wait list/partially confirmed tickets will also be applicable to the waitlisted and partially confirmed Tatkal Tickets.
Please feel free to write your comments, suggestions or corrections.